How to spot a keylogger? To spot it easily, you need to use a certain type of tool. This type of malicious program is one of the biggest threats to any computer user. No matter how sophisticated the security of your IT system is, it can still bypass it. Even if you use encrypted passwords, it can still collect information and use it to destroy your machine.
To help you spot it, you must know its different types first. Hardware type is considered as the easiest to spot, according to computer experts. You can find it by simply looking at the port where you plug in your primary text input device. If you notice anything wrong with it, then you can be sure that there is a spy tool installed. However, if you are using a laptop, you cannot easily detect it. But you can by opening your laptop and pull it up apart. Then, look at where the primary text input device connects to the motherboard. If there is anything that you can spot in the middle of the connection, then that is a spy tool.
Software type of spy tool is more difficult to find than hardware. The reason for this is that it embeds itself into your computer system. If you are running Windows, you can open its Windows Defender to help you spot and remove this type of program. You may also use an anti-virus program that specifically removes this type of malicious program. Choose a program that is effective in spotting and removing technical spy programs on the market.
After spotting spy tool, you need to remove it immediately from your unit. There are tons of applications on the market that perform this function. They scramble every input stroke that you make and before placing those strokes into a text box. In this way, it will be impossible for a spy tool to understand the input strokes.
Using an online spyware tool is also useful to spot a keylogger. Although this is encouraged, you must only use a program from a reliable website or from a site that you trust.
Keeping Windows clean safeguards your computer against attacks and organizes your files so you can easily find them.
- Clean your hard disk. By this, it does not mean you have to delete all your files. This only means that you organize your files and folders. Fortunately, Microsoft has essential tools that can help you free up more space so that your machine can work more efficiently. It may not run the same way as before you purchased it but it can run and operate faster. The following tools can help you out:
- Disk Defragmenter. This utility tool can scan your hard drive. It then consolidates all files that may have scattered across the drive.
- Disk Cleanup. Apart from Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup is also useful in organizing and cleaning up your machine from clutter. With this tool, it compresses old files so it can free up more storage space on your hard drive.
Experts recommend running these tools once a month. Later versions of Microsoft operating systems have automatic scheduling of running these tools. But you can change the scheduled time according to your preference.
- Keep your operating system updated. Updates are improvements based on customer feedback and product testing. In order to make sure that you have the most recent improvements, you must enable automatic update to your PC. Fortunately, users of Vista and 7 do not need to sign up for the Automatic Update service. Their computers are automatically registered to receive updates but you can change its settings later after installation.
- Run antivirus program as often as possible. Apart from updating your operating system, it is also essential that you run your anti-virus program installed in your PC regularly. Experts recommend running it each day. You also need to run any spyware detection and removal tools that your computer has. Plus, you must install updates to offer more security.
Keeping Windows clean allows your PC to run more efficiently. In this way, you do not need to worry about having a sluggish computer. You can also avoid your computer being infected with spyware, adware and other unwanted programs that may cause damage to your entire machine.
Svchost.exe virus fix is a sophisticated tool that allows you to get rid of adware, malware, and other computer worms that have been infecting your machine. It is a very annoying malicious program that can cause severe damage to your PC. If your computer has been infected with the said self-replicating program, you may perform the following steps:
- Turn off your machine’s System Restore first. When repairing the damage made by the said program, you need to disable System Restore. To disable it, follow these steps:
- Go to Start menu.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Control Panel.
- Double-click System option.
- Select File System. This is found on the Performance tab.
- Left-click the Troubleshooting tab.
- Check the box next to “Disable System Restore” button.
- Click OK to apply changes
These steps may be different depending on the version of Windows you are using. But the same concept is being applied.
- Reboot your computer.
- Choose to restart your machine in Safe Mode. You can do this by pressing F8 on your computer keyboard right after the first beep during the start up. You must press the said button before the Windows logo screen appears. Once you are in the startup mode, you must choose to run Windows in Safe Mode.
- Go to Start menu. Once you have logged in Safe Mode, you should click the Start menu and then go to Run. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, you simply have to type cmd on the Search box of the Start menu. It will still take you to the command prompt window.
- Type in the following C:\\windows\system and hit enter. You must type in all codes that allow you to protect and delete malicious programs.
This procedure is only advisable for advanced users, however. To make it easier to repair your machine, you just need to download a svchost.ext virus fix. It is a tool that specifically eliminates such self-replicating program from your PC. But you need to be careful when choosing a program. Make sure that it is developed by a reliable company.
Reading Trojans 101 guide can assist you on how to properly deal with this type of malicious program. You must know how it works and what it can do to your computer. Keep in mind that this type of virus can hack into your email account, bank account and other accounts. It can send unwanted or spam messages to your contacts using your email account without you knowing it.
Removing this virus can be done manually. But to further help you protect your machine from this kind of malicious program, you may heed to the following tips:
- Protect your PC using a stronger, more secure anti-virus program. And do not just obtain it. You need to make sure that you keep it updated by downloading and installing updates. You must obtain anti-virus program from trusted names to guarantee that your PC is protected against any type of attacks. Go with a program that has integrated anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, and anti-phishing programs. This is to further combat against advanced attacks.
- Opt for an ISP that utilizes utmost security that can fight against spam and phishing. Always consider this when choosing a provider for your Internet connection.
- Update your operating system regularly. By enabling automatic Windows Updates, you can have a protective OS with patches that can make it stronger against any attacks. You must also install patches from the applications you are using on your PC. Experts said that a fully-patched machine is your best defense against any malicious attacks.
- Be extra careful when using P2P file sharing. You must remember that viruses can sit in shared programs. When you download them to your PC, they can wreak havoc to your files and your entire machine. You must not download files with the following extensions: .exe, .scr., .link, .bat, .bin, .vbs, .dll and .cmd.
- Use the latest version of your browser. This is to make sure that it uses the latest technologies that can filter out phishing sites that may contain malicious programs.
These Trojans 101 tips are just few of the guidelines you must know to help you fight against malicious attacks.
Keeping your Mac clean lets you optimize its performance. If you feel that your Apple computer is a bit sluggish, you can take advantage to these tips to help you restore it to full speed without spending a dime.
- Delete some startup items. Some apps you have installed on your Apple computer set themselves as startup items. As startup items, they open each time you restart or boot your computer. They can sometimes slow down your computer during start up. To remove some of these items, follow these steps:
- Go to Apple menu
- Click System Preferences
- Choose Accounts options
- Click Login Items
- Select items that you wish to remove during startup. But do not remove everything. If you do, you are also eliminating some of the items needed for your computer to restart. The rule of thumb here is to only delete or remove items you have installed.
- Turn off Internet sharing, Bluetooth and other functionalities that you do not use. While you are still at the System Preferences window, you should take a look at the features provided by Apple. Some of them are useful while others are not. Universal Access, for instance, may be helpful only if you are visually and hearing impaired. If you are not, you can turn it off. If you do not use some of these features, you must turn them off. This method can help you save valuable processor resources and RAM.
- Eliminate some widgets. There are many widgets installed in your computer but not all of them are useful. You must remember that they can take significant amount of computer resources. To boost your Apple computer’s performance, you must disable some of them to conserve RAM and processor use.
- Clean your hard drive. A full hard drive can slow down your computer. You may check your Trash folder and empty it. You should also delete some of the photos, videos and other stuff you do not need. They can take up a lot of space in your hard drive and slow down your computer’s performance.
These are just some of the tips that you can do in keeping your Mac clean. There are other ways to boost its performance.
There are different types of viruses and all of them behave differently. These types are categorized into various areas. Some of the common kinds of self-replicating computer programs are listed below. Learning each of them can help you protect your system unit against these programs.
- Bootsector. This is a kind of self-replicating computer program that attaches to the first part of your hard drive read by the computer during startup. This is normally spread through the use of an infected floppy disk.
- Trojan horse. Just like a true “Trojan,” this kind of program is a deceitful one. It appears to be useful and functional. However, once you download it to your computer, it performs another function, which is undesirable and very damaging to your unit. Although it does not replicate itself like a normal self-replicating program, it causes severe damage to the computer while compromising its security. In order for your computer to be infected, you need to download it to your PC. For that reason, it is not advisable to download just anything to your computer especially if it comes from an unreliable site.
- Macro. This kind of program infects documents, such as MS Word and MS Excel. It infects application that utilizes macro programming language. From there, it can replicate itself and spread to other documents.
- Rootkit. Unlike the other programs mentioned above, Rootkit cannot be detected by a normal self-replicating program remover. This is installed through Trojans. It disguises itself as an operating system file. Thus, each time you boot up, this program also starts up.
- Polymorphic. This kind of self-replicating program does not only create multiple files of itself but it also changes its nature each time it replicates. For that reason, your less sophisticated self-replicating program remover will have a hard time detecting and removing it.
- Memory. As the term suggests, this resides in your computer’s volatile Random Access Memory (RAM). It starts infecting your computer through another self-replicating program. It stays in RAM until you remove it using a special kind of remover tool.
These common types of viruses can be removed. But you need stronger, more sophisticated kind of remover to eliminate all of them.